Saturday, August 1, 2009

Technologically challenged!!

For the past two weeks I have been fighting with my computer. So Lucky for me that also means I am two weeks behind in all four of my courses. I got half way through my second block of E-learning and am just finishing up with all the remaining readings and activites now. I have actually taken most of the quizzes before in another subject but it was refreshing to see how my out look on learning has changed in the past six months. They weren't drastic changes but just little things. I've come to realise that although the technology I use in my studies is a little unreliable at times, I prefer this mode of education. I'm not the kind of person that can sit reading a book for hours on end. However give me the internet and I can make a whole day feel like an hour. One of the major things that stuck in my head from the 2nd week is the clip of Sir Ken Robinson; There I thought he was going to be dull and drag on but I was shell shocked by how many times I laughed during his speech. I agree quite strongly with his opinion regarding creativity and how children don't grow creative but how they grow out of it. I have a fair few friends that grew up in a dancing environment. Great commitment of time and money goes into a dancers career and it is not just dancers themselves that have to be dedicated but also their families. About two out of the twenty dancers I know have actually continued on in the performing arts. Which leads me to ask, why spend 16 years of your life dancing if your just going to turn your back on it? I think the arts appear less important in today's society because they are not a sure thing. I guess the best way to put it is, you always try to back the winning horse. I don't know about you but when it comes to gambling, I usually lose. So why take the risk if you're just going to land on your face.
One of my dad's colleagues asked me a few weeks ago what kind of job was I expecting after I finished with my studies. Truth is I want to write novels, short stories pretty much any form of writing I can manipulate to my hearts desire. He then continued to tell me that his brother was a writer for a theatre company overseas and that he made little money, but that he was doing what he loved, so income was just a formality.
I believe this is what holds alot of people back. Money makes the world go round. The way I see it I'd rather be a poor writer, happy with my shortcomings than stuck behind a desk or calculating numbers just so I can make money.
Like they say you can't take it with you, I'd rather leave something behind thats worth far greater value than money.
Sorry about blabbering on but I just could not help myself!!

cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment